Gifts of Appreciated Stocks, Mutual Funds and Bonds
Gifts of long-term appreciated securities have the same positive benefit to the Library Foundation as a gift of cash, but are more beneficial to you. Gifts of appreciated securities are an excellent source for creating a Charitable Gift Annuity.
A gift of long-term, appreciated stock saves time and money in three ways:
- Your income taxes are reduced because of the charitable donation.
- You avoid the capital gains tax that would have applied had you sold the shares yourself.
- Stock giving can be convenient, especially when you have a few stocks that are “odds and ends” or fractional shares.
Making the transfer is simple; just follow these three easy steps:
- Create a letter similar to the one below.
- Send the original letter to your broker.
- Send a copy of the letter to Fairfax Library Foundation.
Please call 703-324-8300, or fax (703-653-1789), or email the Foundation with any questions.
Dear [Broker name]:
Please consider this letter my/our request to transfer shares of [Company Name] from my/our account # _______________ to the following account:
Fairfax Library Foundation
My/Our signature(s) have been notarized below.
CC: Fairfax Library Foundation
12000 Government Center Parkway Suite 329 Fairfax, VA 22035
End of sample letter